Monday, July 12, 2010

Working from home: Sweet and Sour

It's 6:45 AM and I'm trying to wake up enough to start working. It's true what they say, you know, I do get to work in my pajamas and avoid the rush hour traffic. That's a sweet benefit of working from home, but that's not why I do it. I work from home because I want to be here for my children. I don't want to pay someone else to take my place, to be there when they come home from school and to teach them right from wrong. I want to raise them.

But, this morning, I really just want to be in bed. Asleep. I'm not ready to wake up, hence the reason that I am dragging my feet and blogging instead of doing my REAL work. I know, I know. At least I get to make that decision. You're so right. I really can go back to bed if I want to. My work is super flexible: I can work any time of the day that I want to. But, I find that some hours are littered with more interruptions (and distractions) than others. Trying to work and take care of my kids at the same time is quite the juggling act and, inevitably, one side tends to win. I'm ashamed to say that sometimes my kids (my very reason for doing this) are the ball that gets dropped. 
                                                                                                               (picture courtesy of photobucket.com)

So, here I am again at this difficult place that I find myself in often: trying to figure out how to balance life between work, family and church responsibilities. The only answer I can think of is to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. And drop the working in my pajamas thing. Mmmmmmm.... maybe tomorrow.

Okay, okay... I'm going to work now. Thanks for listening to me ramble and you can be sure that I will address this topic again. (I've been working from home for nearly 5 years with a few on-and-off stints before that.) So, Fridays will be Work-From-Home-Friday, where I'll discuss my ramblings, share things I've learned and things I'm still struggling with, offer insider tips and even some suggestions if you want to work from home. For now... do you have any suggestions for me? Like how to get motivated to jump out of bed at 6:00 in the morning?? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love -- your comments are always appreciated!