Monday, December 20, 2010

In His Service - Lessons Learned in My Service as a Relief Society President

Lesson 1: You Love Those that You Serve


Nothing builds love quite like service. Think about your children. Who else do you devote more of your time and energy to than them? Sure, there might be a genetic link - blood ties - but surely that growing  love that continues to get stronger each day and each year is born of your complete dedication to your child.

That's the kind of love that comes from serving. When we serve someone, we become invested in a good outcome for them. When we add prayer and purpose to our service, the love and results are that much stronger.

I don't have many issues with many people. I really and truly get along well with most people that I meet. My feelings for each person aren't always equal, however. It's normal to "click" with some people more than with others. Before I got called as the ward Relief Society president, there was a woman who I didn't quite "click" with. It wasn't that I didn't like her... I just didn't know her very well. I thought she seemed nice enough but that she wasn't anyone I could really be friends with. As a Relief Society president, I was given a love for each sister under my stewardship. It was easy to love them. I could feel of my Savior's love for these women. But, that doesn't mean I "clicked" with all of them - including this one particular sister. Until, that is, I had the opportunity to personally serve her. My concern for her took over any other hesitations I had had previously. That service bore a great love and understanding of this woman that I am incredibly grateful for.

If there is someone that you are having a hard time understanding or getting along with - take the time to do some kind acts of service. Even something as simple as praying for them can truly go a long way at helping you to see past the minor irritations and annoyances to the deeper goodness that lies within most people.

When has an act of service caused a change of heart for you? Share your comments below... or write a blog post and link it up here for others to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love -- your comments are always appreciated!