Monday, August 16, 2010

A pending adoption, a wardrobe malfunction and a sick kid

So the other day we were driving home from a shopping trip. As we got closer to home, The Showoff says to me, "Mom, do you think we could walk home from here?" "Sure," I say. "But it will take a while." I had my husband let us out anyway, because really, how many more years do I have left before he doesn't even want to be seen with me? Needless to say, it was a long walk but I got to learn a few things from him (he's a TALKER). I learned that he really does like to read. He kept talking about The Five Ancestors, a series of books that he's been reading. I also learned that he has a HUGE imagination and he's a bit of a dreamer. (But who isn't at 11?) And I learned of his plans to adopt kids.

Throughout our walk, he kept mentioning about how he plans on adopting kids. At first I thought that it was just a sweet gesture. Until he said, "Well, I might have just one kid of my own. But that's it. I'm adopting the rest. Do you think that's ok, mom?"

"Well, yes. Of course it's okay. But, Showoff, I don't get it" I said. "Why do you care? It's your wife that will have to carry and deliver each baby."

"Because, mom. Ever since, I found out how you make babies, I decided that I'm just going to adopt. 'Cuz I'm not going to ever do THAT!" ...

Oh, how I hope that thought lasts for at least a few more years.

Of course, if he doesn't change his mind before he gets married, he definitely will after he makes "just one".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note. It turns out that Lil' Mama has quite the fashion sense. She has put together some cute outfits for herself and - I hate to admit it - she's had to counsel me a time or two. Like last week. I wore a brand new dress to church and I was pretty excited about it.
Here's a picture of me in the dress:

New hair cut + new dress has to equal fun, right?

WRONG.

The buttons kept popping open whenever I sat down, so I had to go home and change. But I didn't want to. I brought Lil' Mama home with me and I kept telling her how bummed I was. So, what did she do? She fixed it. Yes, my 9-year-old daughter is my personal stylist.

She simply suggested that I wear a black slip underneath the dress and leave the bottom half unbuttoned. And you know what? It completely looked like that's how it was made AND it was more comfortable, too. She saved the day and gave me yet ANOTHER new dress.

Here's the dress afterward:

Anyone in need of fashion advice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more: Lo-Lo was sick with a fever last week and it turns out that when his head is hot it turns on his talk button. He was laying down in my room, cuddling with me and telling me about everything under the sun. How this friend likes to play such-and-such and how another friend ditched him, what he thinks his new kindergarten teacher will be like and on and on and on. Then he heard the shower turn on. (Yum Yum had been in the bathroom preparing to shower.) Lo-Lo says, "Oh no, mom. Daddy just got in the shower and I don't think he wiped his butt!"

? ? ? ! ! !

Don't ask... I really have no explanation of where that came from, but I thought it was pretty funny that he came to such a conclusion.

You know, when I step back and really listen and pay attention, I discover that my kids are pretty cool after all. They keep me entertained, anyway.

We really can learn a lot from our kids. What do your kids TEACH you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love -- your comments are always appreciated!